Created in 2012, the Photography Competition Clara Photo Prize is intended for artists working with view cameras. It awards a previously unpublished work of authorship; presented in a series or photographic ensemble allowing it to be judged for the coherence of both it’s form and content.
At a time when a flood of images is available to everyone via the internet and represents an indisputable wealth of communication and sharing, it is also unquestionable – that besides a democratic exchange of valuable content – it has developed a very fashionable “anything goes” attitude in photography, that has created confusion between medium, performance and artistic qualification.
For the creator of this prize, Joséphine de Bodinat Moreno and the artistic director, Audrey Bazin, it appeared essential to position oneself at the “reverse angle” or rather “off-camera” of trends and to praise a reflective approach and a certain slowness. In fact by the very process of handling the view camera, its specific constraints, the artist chooses to take his or her time to collaborate with light. In this way we return to the very origins of photography.
That does not mean seeing in the use of the view camera, an ode to the past or a method producing a nostalgic tonality, the submissions received prove it each year, work using the view camera is truly an exploration of the writing of light with multiple options. Beyond the attributes of exposure time, control of perspective or focus, the artists have in common this exclusive relationship with the practice and use it to invent particular expressions.
There is no entry fee to participate!
It’s free to enter!
Deadline: 10th July 2019
Who can enter ?
open to photographers working with view camera (large format) photography.
Composition of the electronic entry submission
Each candidate must upload to the site www.prixcameraclara.com
– A selection of 10 photographs, coherent in their content and presentation form.
These 10 photographs must be in the following format: 300 dpi, 30 cm in height or width
– A written presentation of the work in French or English
– A CV in French and English containing the candidate’s contact information (postal address,telephone number, and email address (obligatory))
– Candidatures chosen in the first round will be notified by email and will be asked to send a work print of reasonable dimensions.
– A scan of the candidate’s identity card or passport
– A scan of the present Rules signed and dated
– A scan of the document Third Party Rights signed and dated, which is available to download on the website of the Contest
Camera Clara Award 2019Prize:
One winner gets 6000 €
The organiser of the Camera Clara Photo Constest is not permitted to use in any manner, the photographs of candidates who are not finalists. It is understood that the organiser reserves the right to use, to reproduce and to diffuse using any medium, a selection of the work of the winner and any finalists, with the aim of promoting the Prize and the exhibition that may possibly follow, without obligation of financial or other compensation.