Photo Contest 2019
The SPIE International Day of Light Photo Contest 2019 is an annual event that provides imagery to support the celebration of IDL. The contest kicks off each year on IDL, 16 May, and runs for three months, giving professional and amateur photographers alike the opportunity to show how light impacts cultural, economic, and political aspects of our global society.
The theme of the photo contest is:
A World of Light: The Vital Role That Light and Light-Based Technologies Play in Daily Life.
Examples of content include, but is not exclusive to, artistic images that depict:
• Various properties of light and how it interacts with the atmosphere, nature, and materials
• Light technology such as lasers, LEDs, etc.
• Images created with light technology such as telescopes and microscopes
• People interacting with light and/or light technology
• The betterment of the human condition with light
• First prize: US $2,500
• Second prize: US $1,000
• Third prize: US $500
• Technology and Science prize: US $750
• Contest opens: 16 May 2019
• Contest closes: 16 September 2019
• Winners notified: 16 October 2019
• Winners announced: 30 October 2019
There is no entry fee to participate!
The competition is free to enter
Deadline : 16 September 2019
Who May Enter ?
The photo contest is open to people of all ages, both amateur and professional photographers, except employees of SPIE and optics.org, their immediate families, the contest judges, and consultants/contractors of SPIE. Immediate family is defined as all grandparents, parents, spouses, 2 of 4 siblings, children, grandchildren, in-laws, or anyone living in the SPIE or optics.
Photo Type, Size, Format, and Resolution
- Photographs depicting the vital role that light and light-based technologies plays in daily life must be in digital format, suitable for public exhibition and printing at high-resolution.
- All images must be 300 dpi or more and at least 3,000 pixels on the longest side.
- File size should be no less than 5MB and no greater than 20MB.
- TIF and JPEG/JPG are the ONLY accepted formats.
- Please submit the highest quality images that meet these requirements.
- Images that don’t meet these criteria will not be judged.
- Each person may submit a maximum of two (2) entries.